Thursday, February 25, 2010

The questions of oil and acrylic painting.....?

1. I just finally found out that oil painting is very dangerous to our health and brain.. is that true?





2. You cannot do oil painting in the bad circulation room. But how can I do oil painting in the middle of winter while I can't open the window all the time?





3. Compare to oil painting, acrylic painting I heard is way more safe... but I just love the fabulous effect of oil painting after it's done. So, what is the fabulous effects I could get from acrylic painting?





4. What are the oil painting equipments I will need to have a great oil painting?





5. What are the acrylic painting equipments I will need to have a great oil painting?





6. What is turpentine for? Do I need it for acrylic painting?





7.Which one is the best one.. oil painting or acrylic painting?





8. Which one is more expensive for the equipments of oil painting or acrylic painting?





9. Any particular tips for oil %26amp; acrylic?





10. Do you really think I can live my life normally base on my working of painting?





ThanksssThe questions of oil and acrylic painting.....?
Wow, okay then… I work in both acrylic and oil. Therefore, here is what I know:





1.Oil painting is only dangerous to you if you are allergic or if you eat the paint and its accompanying mediums.


2.Get a fan for when you paint inside (like an exhaust). Direct the fan away from your painting area to create ventilation.


3.Acrylic painting is a little safer however, you don’t want eat it either. You can achieve the affects of an oil painting with acrylics with the use of various mediums such as liquid gloss or matte within the paint. You may also want to try modeling paste and/or gels for a thicker more impasto type of effect. Also, do use a more heavy bodied paint to begin with. Liquitex has a wonderful line of products for the beginner artist and professional.


4.For a great oil painting, you must consider what you are painting on as well as the oils and its mediums you choose. What do you want to achieve? What is your subject? If you are painting a portrait or still life in a realistic style then try a linen canvas or masonite board (do not ever use tempered masonite). If you are more of an impressionistic artist and prefer texture then you can use cotton canvas. Cotton canvas works well for kinds of subjects such as landscapes, still life, portraits, abstract art and cotton is priced cheaper than linen. You will need oil paint, oil brushes, and brush cleaner such as Winsor %26amp; Newton brush cleaner and restorer, “The Masters” Brush Cleaner and Preserver but a mild liquid hand soap works well too. Get a can or well for the solvent of your choice (not water), easel, palette, and palette knife, maybe a stool if you like to sit. I also would suggest an art class, books, and/or videos. You need to find your passion!


5.For a great acrylic painting, you still need to know what you want to paint. You can still use all the various types of canvas and boards that are out on the market. For acrylic’s, just don’t get anything that has been oil primed! If your interested in doing murals, then you need to know what the wall has been treated with prior to painting as you will need to prep it properly. You can use brushes that are made for acrylic paints. However, I like to use anything that works for the technique that I want to achieve such as, bristle brushes (know for oils) because I like the loose brush stroke that a nice bristle brush produces. I am more of an impressionistic artist and most of my paintings start out in acrylics, ending in oils. However, some are entirely acrylics or entirely oils. Anyway, you can use water as your extender and solvent and for cleanup. You will still need to use a nice soap to clean your brushes. I use “The Masters” Brush cleaner and Preserver or Winsor %26amp; Newton brush cleaner and restorer, but I’ve been known to use a mild liquid soap as well. If you’re working on canvas or board then get an easel and maybe a stool. I keep a water spray bottle and paper towels on hand. You will need a palette (I use an airtight palette). You will want a palette knife also. Pretty much all the same kinds of things that you would use for oils, but minus the oil.


6.Turpentine is for oils as a solvent/paint thinner. Don’t ever use it with acrylics or any other water-based medium. Not even to clean your brushes that you would use for acrylic painting. Having said that, you may once the acrylic paint is dry proceed with oils on top of the painting, but after that, you can’t go back to acrylics.


7.As far as which type of medium is the best… Well, I like them both. These days the quality of paint that’s on the market is wonderful. I like it all and am always experimenting with new mediums. You just have to decide for yourself.


8.Oil paints are probably a little more expensive than acrylics depending on the brand and size. However, everything else (in materials) is pretty much the same because you can purchase items for acrylics that you may use with oils.


9.Tips: Not sure what else I can say. Maybe, just have fun with whatever it is you do. Don’t take criticism personally because everyone will have an opinion and you can’t ever let it get you down. Besides, constructive criticism is always a good thing, especially from your peers! Keep a portfolio of all your work. Use a digital camera to download onto your computer and print out on either photo paper or even regular paper.


10.Normally, what is normally? I paint professionally and belong to several art related groups and local museums and galleries. I would suggest you start with becoming a member of your local art museum. They often have programs and events to exhibit local artists. Now, if you’re up to it, cold call at coffee houses, retail shops, etc. Sign up at a farmers market for a booth or maybe become a member of your local chamber of commerce. You can even sell your works of art on eBay! Marketing is totally an okay and easy thing for artists today. If you have a home printer, you can even make your own business cards, flyers, and postcards!





Good luck and I hope this helps! I’m also posting some sites for you to check out.The questions of oil and acrylic painting.....?
Excellent! Glad to help. By the way, the website for http://www.jerrysartarama.com/ is in my opinion the best place to find good quality materials at low prices. The others are good too for things you may not be able to find at Jerry’s Artarama.

Report Abuse



Recent studies do show that oil paint is bad for the system-- yet, how does this explain the fact that many artists(working in oil paint) live well into their seventies? Don't believe the hype. I feel that oil, when com pared to acrylic, there is no comparison. You can paint oil over acrylic, acrylic cannot cover oil. I dont paint much in acrylic, but as far as prices are concerned I'm pretty sure that if you can afford to paint in acrylic you can afford to paint in oil.
1.No, it is not true. Unless the smell affects you, in which case you can paint in an open space.


6. Turpentine is used for removing paint, cleaning brushes, etc. Personally, I think that kerosene is more effective. You can use urea and water solution(1 part urea to 3 parts water) for acrylic painting. It can be used both as cleanser and medium.
To best answer your many questions on oil and acrylic paintings it may be helpful to you to visit:





http://www.wetcanvas.com





There are forums set up in each of these categories and also articles written for learning how to work in various art mediums.
1. just don't eat the paint. 2.if you love it, you'll find a way. 3.oil is the best. 4.paint, canvas, brushes, rags,paper pallet, turpenoid(safer). 5. paint, water, brushes, rags and something to paint on. 6. turp is a solvent (thinner) use it to thin your paint and clean your brushes. Acrylic is water-based. Turp is for oil based paints only. 7. oil 8. oil 9. no 10. enjoy the process you're welcome
The difference is simple as far as I can tell. Oil paintings are warmer. Acrylic leaves me cold. It is worth the risk to use oils especially as you say you like the effect of oils better. I have been painting in oils for forty-five years with no ill effects healthwise and I do not use the 'turpoid' substitute for turpentine either. I love my turps! The very smell of them is inspiring for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment