Thursday, February 25, 2010

Acrylic Paints VS. Oil Paints?

I am still testing different paints that I can use on canvas. I like oil paints but I enjoy acrylic paints too. My main concern is how long they will last and how durable they are. I would prefer to use acrylics since is dries so much faster but I am worried about my works life span. Basically, I just want to see what the pros and cons are for each paint so it doesn't cost me down the road.Acrylic Paints VS. Oil Paints?
to be honest which ever paint you decide on its the quality of the paint and its pigment that will decide how long it lasts rather than whether its acyrlic or oil..... generally the more expensive the paint the higher the pigment quality...





good places to compare paints are websites like GreatArt, or you should ask in ur local art/craft supplies storeAcrylic Paints VS. Oil Paints?
acrylics will last a real long time normally longer than the canvas itself (as long as you don't use super cheap acrylics or paint them on top of oil paints (but you can paint oils on top of acrylics)). Oils a very long time too. If you are talking about on your pallet or in the tube acrylics will not last as long (a week tops if you cover it in plastic) and usually more than 5 years in a tube. I would suggest using acrylics and then getting extender (which makes acrylics apply like oil paints) so you can get the best of both worlds.
As for longevity - some artists do some weird things with acrylics by adding stuff that doesn't mix - like asphalt, wax, oil-based products and other unlikely additives... all bets are off when you take chances like that. But once cured, acrylics are completely chemically stable as long as they're used as directed and given a protective coat of varnish once cured. There's no reason they won't outlast you.





Any paints can be affected by extremes such as temperature, humidity, airborne pollutants and UV light. Professional grade oils and acrylics use the same pigments, only the binders differ. Since we know oils can last centuries, it only stands to reason - from a chemistry point of view - that acrylics will perform at least as well, if not better.
I enjoy oil soooooooo much better than acrylic. Acrylic dries way to fast and even using retarder wont help the drying slow down. In addition, i can't transition the colors that good and I always tend to add new layers on top of the old one just because I disliked the other color. For me, I dislike acrylic... period!





I preffer oil to last the longest and to have a better, more richer life span. You see those old paintings in the museums? They're oil baby! On top of it is varnish. They also mix the whites on egg yolks with their paintings but I wouldn't reccomend that. Anyway, oil drys slower allowing you to mix the color beneath with the new one you're adding on top. Plus, if you make a mistake you can easily transition to a differnet color. Its richer, its better, its thicker, and its durable. I think oil is the best.





Check out my artwork here: http://zero--talent.deviantart.com/
I prefer oils over acrylic paints because my artwork looks so much more realistic and elegant than the way acrylics work/turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment