Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oil Painting Newbie- any tips?

I'm getting started with Oil Painting and I'm willing to be extremely dedicated to it. I even signed up for a class and I've already bought some materials/paints that are needed to start off.





I also want some tips or advice because I really want to get into this painting and possibly continue in the future:


(basically some ';never do this'; or ';always do that';)





thanks so much :)Oil Painting Newbie- any tips?
I would ignor the ';never do this'; or ';always do that'; kind of thinking. whilst i agree doing things a certain way can be wrong. but only in specific context. there are other times when it is right. you have to way up the balance.





my work is always very experimental. and I often don't know what i'm doing until i'm working on a canvas. though most of my work is abstract. so you can get away with more. the real question is why did you choose to use oils in the first place. there are things you can only do with oils which is why I use them, but those techniques don't lend themselves to figurative work.





I'm fine Art trained, so the emphasis is on researching your subject first then deciding what kind of image to produce, painting, drawing, photo etc...Oil Painting Newbie- any tips?
you need xperience on materials,,always a good painter know about colors, textures forms and obviously the estructure,,the drawing





i recoomend you use some materials,,,explore combinations, forms,,use the sense of materials,like bright, shadows, contrast,,elements basic of a way to be an artist,





i suggest use new materials,,check visual plastic vison of art and show us all the new ways of painting,,,good look,and we stay here,,at the same time
first of all, use a limited palette....in other words , just the primary colors to begin with...such as, cad red, yellow ochre, cobalt blue and some earth colors such as burnt sienna, raw sienna...the fewer colors on your palette , the less likely you are to start ';muddying '; up your canvas...also, my personal credo is to never use black...start out using a diluted or ' wash' of the color you want to use first...then as you ';see'; your painting start to develope, then start building up the colors...i would also suggest you look into ';glazing'; ...its a great way to develope your painting in a gradual way..hope some of this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment