Saturday, February 27, 2010

I paint with oils, but I do not add linseed or anything, should I?

i like painting with oils but Im wondering if using linseed oil might help somehow. I'm just looking to get better. I like to paint a lot of oldworld cityscapes with high detail. Any help would be greatly appreciatedI paint with oils, but I do not add linseed or anything, should I?
Hey Shagg Woo,





Oils are a type of paint made with natural oils such as linseed, walnut, or poppy, as the medium to bind the pigment. Oil paints dry slowly, allowing an artist time to rework and blend colors.





So, adding extra oil - not necessary, just thinner.I paint with oils, but I do not add linseed or anything, should I?
I paint all the time with oils and acrylics..I've never use linseed oil...linseed oil is to suppose to thin Oils so you can spread them easier...instead of using linseed oil I use odorless paint thinner..linseed oil has a tendency to turn yellow of course there is clear linseed oil..to hell with the rules of painting I make my own rules and so should you...
linseed oil thins the paint and allows blending of color. I like to build form , and then oil prevents shaping. There is a time for each.
I only use linseed oil to get a better flow of the paint when working in the details on a painting, or i have planned to do a wet on wet project (as most are) and want the oils to dry a little slower. You will only get better if you familiarize yourself with the tools of the trade and how to use them, and don't be afraid to expierment. If you would like to see some the work i've done, it can be viewed at hellosanantonio.com under the name GUERRO.
Using a medium when painting with oils is great because it can add some really beautiful finishing effects. Stand oil doesn't yellow like Linseed oil can and creates a smoother consistency to the paint. Some mediums can speed drying time. Damar varnish can add thickness and a lot of shine (I love Damar Varnish). Linseed oil is really nice, and playing around with different effects and mediums usually is beneficial.


Just one warning, though. All of these varnishes/ oils are really super toxic-- Damar in particular is really dangerous to breathe. Make sure that you have very good ventilation when you use these...
Hi..the linseed oil is a means of giving the paint a higher gloss,thinner texture,and it also helps it to dry slower if the need arises.There are alot of different mediums you can use to get different effects.Try it for your lighted areas and see what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment