Thursday, February 25, 2010

Oil painting fat over lean?

I just finished a painting intended for a competition and I'm worried about possible cracking because I didn't pay too much attention to the fat over lean rule.





The bottom layer was thin but pretty fat with oil, the top layer had less oil mixed in but was applied very thickly. Is there a possibility that the painting will crack? If so could I attempt to prevent it by brushing oil on top?Oil painting fat over lean?
leave it alone


it wont crack for ages if at allOil painting fat over lean?
Yes it's going to crack.


This may start happening in several years time and the extent of the cracking will depend on the colours and quality of paint used.


Brushing oil on top will not stop it (could even cause worse problems).
I would not brush oil on top. I think you should be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment