Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Question about oil painting? (sketching/outlining)?

I have been painting with acrylics up until now...and now I would like to start experimenting with oil paints. For those who paint with oils, do you ever use a PENCIL to draw or outline the picture and forms that you're going to be painting? If so, once its painted over it won't show on the canvas, right?





Thank-you for your answers!Question about oil painting? (sketching/outlining)?
Sure, using a pencil is fine. I also like to take a small brush, and paint over the pencil lines with really thinned down paint (I usually use a burnt sienna or burnt umber for this). since it has a lot of thinner in it, it will dry really fast, and it will be better than pencil for seeing your outline later.





Here's a painting I just started, and it is drawn on like that:





http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/F鈥?/a>





You can also use charcoal if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment